Charleston Area Museums
History buffs and families are sure to appreciate the diverse array of museums that the Charleston area has to offer. Whether you are looking to learn something new or you are trying to escape a rare rainy beach day, a trip to a local museum is fun for the whole family. Visitors will find plenty of educational museums on a variety of topics just a short drive from Folly Beach.
- American Military Museum: Filled with tons of military uniforms, equipment, artifacts, and weapons dating back as far as the Revolutionary War all the way through the present day conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.
- Open 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm, daily; (626) 442-1776
- The Charleston Museum: Visit one of the oldest museums in the United States and experience it’s highly praised collections of historical artifacts, decorative art, and two historical Charleston homes.
- Open Monday – Saturday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm; Sundays, 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm; (843) 722-2996
- The Children’s Museum of the Lowcountry: The most perfect place for kids 10 and under where they can experience hands-on exhibits such as art classes, pirate adventures, children’s garden, and much more!
- Open Tuesday – Saturday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm; Sundays, 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm; (843) 853-8962
- The Gibbes Museum of Art: Home to premier collection of over 10,000 pieces of fine art, see the beautiful art pieces primarily of the American works with ties to Charleston and the South.
Open Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, & Saturday, 10:00 am to 5:00 pm; Wednesdays, 10:00 am to 8:00 pm; (843) 722-2706
- Old Slave Mart Museum: Located at one of the few remaining cobblestone roads of Charleston, this museum is the only known known extant buildings used for slave auction in the 1800’s.
- Open Monday – Saturday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm; (843) 958-6467
- Patriots Point/ USS Yorktown: One of South Carolina’s most favorited attraction, experience a fleet of National Historic Landmark ships, the Cold War Memorial, the Congressional Medal of Honor Society and more!
- Open 9:00 am to 6:30 pm, daily; (843) 884-2727